MA Business Management in International Travel & Tourism
Next Start Date - 6 September 2013 - Apply online here
The MA Business Management in International Travel and Tourism (MABMITT) is a specialist, part-time, post-experience qualification designed for people who already have some work experience at a supervisory or managerial level in the travel and tourism industry and wish to develop their knowledge, skills and abilities further in order to develop their careers.
Each module offers the opportunity to delve deeper into different aspects of management within the industry, and the programme as a whole focuses on developing your employability.
In addition to the core modules you can chose two from a range of electives each designed to give a little more insight into a particular specialist area of the industry.
You may decide to choose electives in the areas in which you already work in order to build on your existing skills and experience, or you may use your elective choice as an opportunity to test the water in a completely new area.
In addition to academic benefits, this programme will help you in other ways. You will meet a wide variety of industry practitioners, learn from their experience and develop relationships with them.
You will also build up strong bonds with the other programme participants and your tutors. Together these groups will form the basis of a wide ranging industry network which should stand you in good stead as you progress in your career.
Aims & Objectives
- Enhance your professional competence by building on your experience through a structured programme of study at master’s level
- Enable you to benefit from the contribution of practitioners and industry experts into both the programme design and its delivery
- Combine industry relevance with academic and theoretical robustness with a focus on understanding how you can apply the findings of leading-edge academic research along with relevant academic theories, models and concepts to your working life within the international travel and tourism industry
- Take a critical perspective on both current practice and likely future developments in the international travel and tourism industry, setting it within the broader context of general business and management, thus developing your ability to think critically about the industry and your role within it as a current or future manager
- Flexible delivery methods – this programme has been designed so you can study without having to take time off during the working week. Teaching is delivered in intensive weekend bursts once a month and in between these weekends you will be applying what you have learned to your work and keeping in touch with your tutors and fellow participants online
- Small class sizes – allowing you to build up a close network of relationships with your fellow participants and benefit from a high level of personal attention from your tutors
- Networking opportunities – over the course of your studies you will have many chances to meet and network with industry experts and to form a close network with them and your fellow participants which will go on to support you for the rest of your working life
- Academics who are also practitioners – all the modules on this programme have been designed by academics who have also worked in the travel and tourism industry. The programme team offer a wide range of different types of industry experience, from airlines to hotels, from travel agencies to destination management companies
- Free ITT membership - all studying participants will receive free membership to the Institute of Travel & Tourism for the duration of their course
Recommended: 21 months
Please note, the programme length is flexible and participants can take up to six years to complete all the modules, if necessary.
This programme is recognised by the Chartered Management Institute (CMI), giving graduates full CMI membership, providing recognition and endorsement from the UK’s prestigious, professional body for managers and leaders. Find out more
Please note that this award is currently validated by The Open University